Essential oils are the pure and concentrated essences of plants. Used are petals, roots, twigs, leaves, resins depending on the plant. For rosemary oil, the haulms are the part of the plant that’s used. It is another very versatile oil. Remember, I mentioned it as an optional part of my hair mask recipe for hair growth because it stimulates the root of the hair.
Rosemary (e.g. Rosmarinus Officinalis)
Rosemary oil works seductive on bruises and clearing for the respiratory system and the skin why it is one of the oils used in cold and bronchitis remedies and for treating oily and blemished skin. It has also a hypertensive effect (which is why people with high blood pressure should use this oil cautiously, or not at all), it stimulates the circulation, and is strengthening the immune system in general.
Don’t use when
- taking homeopathy at the same time (it could neutralize the effect)
- suffering from epilepsy or high blood pressure
- pregnant (at least not within the first 5 months – it could cause an abortion since the oil supports the menstruation)
Hypertensive, activates the blood flow, anticonvulsant, lowers blood sugar, stomach strengthening, disinfectant, strengthens the body’s defenses, supports menstruation
Scope of application
Exhaustion, Tiredness, mental weakness
- Use as a bath
- Evaporation (fragrance lamp)
Cold, Bronchitis, Cramps, Low Blood Pressure, Exhaustion, Hair Fall, Oily Skin, Flu, Muscle Pain, Rheumatism, Badly Healing Skin
- Hair Fall: Mix it with distilled water and fill it in a pump spray. Spray on your scalp daily and massage it (always shake well before spraying). You can also use rosemary hydro-lat for that use.
- Migraine: Apply 2 drops (mixed with little vegetable oil) and massage the temples or concerned area
- Colds/Bronchitis: Inhaling, take a bath
- Cramps (for example pre-menstrual cramps or colic): Apply compresses onto the concerned area
- Bruises: if you are not allergic, apply it directly. Otherwise, mix with some vegetable oil before applying
- Rheumatism, Muscle pain: Take a bath, mixed with vegetable oil use as body oil, use compresses
- Back pain: Take a bath (and add 2 drops of lavender oil)
- Low circulation/weakness: Put 1 – 2 drops directly on your radial artery
- Nausea/Seasickness/Stuffy nose/for better concentration: Put 2 drops on a tissue and smell on it
- Oily/Blemished Skin: Use rosemary hydrolat on a cotton ball for cleansing your face in the morning and in the evening
Basic measures – Rule of Thumb
- For 30 ml carrier substance like neutral lotion, vegetable oil, cream, or distilled water take up to 15 drops
- For a bath mix up to 4 drops with half a cup of milk, honey, or liquid whipped cream (otherwise the essential oil would not merge with the water and can lead to irritations of the mucous membrane), then mix the remedy with the water in the bathtub.
- Inhaling: mix 3 to 4 drops with hot water and inhale for 10 minutes. Cover head and water with a towel.
- Compresses: Heat water and add up to 4 drops of rosemary oil, put a cloth into the water, wring it out, and apply it on the concerned area, repeat if needed.
About Essential Oils
When you want to apply essential oils to your body, make sure you only buy 100% natural essential oils. This is important regarding allergic reactions. Also, there is no healing effect from artificial oils. The effect comes from the healing power of the plant. But of course, you can use those fragrances for having a nice scent in your room.
Indicators regarding the quality are:
- The label must say it is 100% natural oil.
- The Latin name is on the label
- The price (essential oil of good quality can never be cheap)
- You know and trust the seller
Use essential oils with care. Don’t overdose! Essential oils can cause allergic reactions. Don’t take essential oils internally before talking to an aromatherapist or doctor.
Complementary medicine is a great way to support your health. Its techniques can teach your body to heal itself. But there is no guarantee if, how fast, or how comprehensive the effect will be. So, when you are having health problems then see a doctor first.
In Love and Light